Monday, June 30, 2008

Army Wives: I love you, but....


Dear Army Wives,


I love you! I look forward every Sunday night to sitting down and checking out what you ladies (and gentlemen) are up to. Now, I know you are just a show and therefore tend to be a bit unrealistic sometimes, BUT.......... there were several points in last night's episode, "Leaving the Tribe" that really felt off to me. First of all-the crazy bomber's sister is on base? Dropping by the post commander's house? How did that even happen? I know that she probably got permission to come on base for the radio show, but then she wanders over to see the Holdens, and it takes the general by surprise? Really?? Also, I am not a member of the armed forces, but would Joan's staff really hug her after their friendly little meeting where she reveals her pregnancy? Seemed a little to friendly for the millitary-and her in particular- to me. I don't know how many pregnant women are in the service, but there seemed to be quite a few at the special pregnancy PT. And were they doing Yoga? Seemed kind of touchy-feely to me, but maybe that actually happens. Also, Roxy gets on my nerves. Yes, we all get that she is used to fighting everyone everywhere for what she wants, but week after week she stupidly confronts higher-ups with little to no regard for the consequences for Trevor. I'm thinking of griping Claudia Joy out in the first episode for getting seen at the hospital before her son, asking her husband's drill instructor to take it easy on him because his feet hurt, yelling at the hospital administrator so he'd keep Betty there instead of moving her to a county hospital, and this week instead of calling into Pamela's show to discuss the Hump Bar rebuild, she drives there, bursts into the booth while they are on air, and vents her point of view. With Roxy, there's her way, and the wrong way. I'm getting way tired of the Roxy way.

But, the thing that stood out glaringly to me was this week's storyline with Roland. So he thinks he wants to be a school counselor, and he just goes down to ask for the job? A school counselor is NOT a psychiatrist-they work more on future goals, like college planning, standardized testing, and class schedules. They do some counseling, but not the way Roland does. There is also a special degree you have to have to do it, you can't just become one overnight. He should be trying for a school psychologist, which is more of what he thinks a counseling gig is. Finally, calling and asking him to be a substitute English teacher.... I know it's to advance a storyline, but you can't just do that without special certification, training, and background checks. I don't care if it's a military school or not, that is NOT realistic. Whatever. I'm off the soapbox for now.


I still love you AW, this is not a break-up. Just consider this our first fight, okay?


Love, WattsFresh

No comments: